You can set up a manual OpenVPN connection by using the OpenVPN GUI open-source application. OpenVPN is the software that connects your PC with your PracticalVPN account.
1. First, download the OpenVPN GUI application:
If using Windows 10, 8, 7 and Vista download "Installer, Windows Vista and later" from here:
Otherwise, if using Windows XP, from here:
2. Install the OpenVPN GUI application.
Open the installer file.
Follow the setup wizard.
3. Once the application is installed, you now have to use the PracticalVPN '.ovpn' server configuration file that was sent to you in an email. Save it to your downloads or desktop folder.
4. You now need to move an .opvn file which you want to use to this OpenVPN app directory:
5. Open the OpenVPN /config/ folder mentioned above alongside it. To quickly find the OpenVPN /config/ folder, right-click the OpenVPN GUI shortcut on your desktop, and select Open file location.
6. Now that the configuration files have been loaded into the proper folder in C:/Program Files/OpenVPN/config/ for the application to detect them, let’s open the OpenVPN GUI app itself. Double-click the shortcut on your desktop.
7. Allow the application administrative permissions – it’s necessary for a VPN connection.
6. The application will start running in the system tray. It’s the area near your clock:
It might also be in the hidden system tray area:
7. Right click the application icon, hover over the server, and click connect.
8. After a few seconds, the application will connect and the window will disappear. The system tray icon will turn green, and indicate that you are connected when you hover over it:
And that’s it! You should be successfully connected. To disconnect, it’s the same as step 9, except you select disconnect.