To set up Thunderbird for POP, perform the following steps:
- In Thunderbird, select File / New / Mail Account.
- In the Your name box, enter your first and last name. This is the name that will appear in the From field of messages you send.
- In the Email address box, enter your entire email address (e.g., email@example.com).
- In the Password box, enter the password for your email account.
- Click the Continue button.
- Thunderbird will attempt to automatically detect account settings, click the Stopbutton.
- Click the Re-test Configuration button.
- After Thunderbird verifies the account information, click The Create Accountbutton.
Leaving a Copy of Messages on the Server
A POP connection typically removes the email messages from the email server after you have downloaded new messages to your computer. If you would like to leave copies on the server, do the following:
- Select Tools / Account Settings.
- Under your email account, click the Server Settings link.
- In the Server Settings section, check the Leave messages on server box.
- To avoid exceeding your account’s storage limits, indicate whether the server should delete messages after a certain number of days, or if the server should delete messages when you manually delete or move them from the Inbox.
- Click the OK button.